Recruiting Manager Public Affairs
ESA is recruiting a Manager Public Affairs to work full time at the ESA General Secretariat’s office in Brussels, Belgium
The Manager Public Affairs will work closely with the ESA Membership and, as part of the ESA Policy Team, under the guidance of the Secretary General to whom he/she will be reporting. The Manager will mainly focus on the preparation and implementation of the association’s overall outreach, advocacy and lobbying related activities towards EU decision makers and shall act as key interlocutor towards all relevant EU institutions, specifically the European Parliament, the EU Commission, and Member States representatives. The Manager will be a spokesperson for the EU seed sector and help assure multiplication of European activities also at national level as required.
The position requires regular traveling, mainly in Europe.
- Contribute public affairs, campaigning and EU policy expertise to strategic and annual planning
- Identify key public affairs priorities together with policy staff
- Lead responsibility for development of public affairs and legislative campaign plans and tools
- Manage implementation of ESA’s overarching and specific lobbying activities in the areas of seed marketing, genetic resources and biodiversity, plant health, IP rights, Research and Innovation etc.
- Build strong relationships with colleagues in national seed associations and company offices and liaise closely with them on relevant issues
- Maintain awareness of ESA key policy areas and issues
- Develop and maximise useful links with key opinion formers and relevant decision-makers; regularly meet politicians, advisers and administrators to inform them on ESA priority issues
- Attend external meetings and conferences, representing ESA and advocating its positions
- Close collaboration with Manager Communications and Manager Plant Breeding and Innovation Advocacy, ensuring optimal effectiveness towards ESA Members and third parties
- Strong expertise in EU policy, very good understanding of the EU’s structures and decision making processes, proven experience in European Parliament relations
- Awareness of wider political context
- Good knowledge of current agricultural and environmental issues
- Understanding of corporate disciplines including confidentiality and acting within limits of authority
- Able to communicate with authority to policy experts as well as to explain policy issues to laymen
Personality and skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, service oriented
- Tactful in dealing with people, also under pressure
- Discretion, good judgment ability, flexibility and versatility
- Organizational skills, management ability
- Team player with initiative and ability to work independently
- Curiosity and affinity to new technologies and tools; computer literate
- Creative and innovative
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in EN (native level); good French; other languages an asset
Interested candidates should send their CV and motivation letter including salary expectations to:
email@example.com and mark it with “ESA MPA”.
Application deadline: 06.07.2018
First selection round: 10. – 13.07.2017
Second selection round: 16. – 19.07.2017
Starting date: earliest possible date